In Feb this year Tsamadhi was placed on a complete halt of activities due to contamination of the horse food sold to us. Never did I realize the journey we would embark on. It all started with Jackie who collapsed and couldn't get up for 10 days. She eventually died.
Then it was the majority of the horses which lost weight, reoccurring colics, diarrhea , depression and muscle tissue loss in one pony. The company assumed responsibility and a two full heart scans, ecg’s resting as well as exercise, sonar were scheduled to take place in the beg of April and then again end of May. Horses were ordered to box rest and not move until the first scans would take place.
The first tests took place and I was horrified with the report, which stated that the weight loss in the vet’s personal opinion was due to bad management and not related to the poisoning. The colic’s were also disregarded as normal. And my colleagues expertise ignored. And many many more comments.
Today, I think the report saved me, as should he not have been so critical I would never have questioned it, and been left to pick up the pieces of the companies mess.
1st scans results came back, and only 2 horses didn’t pass, and another pony was written of. So everyone was put on an progressive exercise program, apart from the 3 which didn’t pass.
Some horses heart rates shot up, while 2 horses started with nose bleeds. Many horses seemed to have normal heart rates but abnormal respiratory rates. End of May 2nd tests were concluded and in the beginning of July we received an email stating that 12 horses passed the exams, 12 are recommended to be retested within 2 months, and 9…to be retired.
Right now we are waiting to see the documentation from the food companies insurance, so our specialist can have a look at them , and decide the next steps forward for the 21 horses which didn’t pass. Some of these horses are already scheduled to be put down, others people have come forward wanting to sponsor their costs so they can retire by us, others, we hope we can leave for 14 months and then have them retested ourselves. Cause I can simply not imagine…putting them all down.